Meet the Author!
This episode is a little different! I talk a little bit about who I am, how I wrote Wingtorn, behind the scenes stuff, and I give some writing advice as well!
Beginnings of Wingtorn
- I wrote the first draft when I was in university
- It was really short – basically the first couple of chapters and the last couple of chapters. I hadn’t built out the world at all.
- And then as you do when you are a writer, you put it away and forget about it for a while, but it was still at the back of my mind.
- A couple of years ago, for the other podcast I was doing, Business BFFs, dug it out again and rewrote it in 3 days, expanding on the lore and the story.
- I was also watching a lot of Once Upon A Time at the time, and I enjoyed the story structure – present day story with the fairy tale characters, related to a past story conflict, and usually thematically, the stories were closely related.
- So I rewrote it and then…put it away for about another year. After that I went through it once more and that’s pretty much the version you’ve been listening to. I record it all and produce it here in my home office!
- I’ve envisioned it as having multiple books, at least 6 novellas in the story arc, though perhaps more as the world is pretty big!
- Nothing can force you to write – you just have to figure out a system that gets your butt in the chair
- My system – I trick my brain (Just open the document, then read what you’ve written, okay now write 20 words, now 50, now 100…)
- Trade show post-mortems
Anyway, I hope you’ve enjoyed this little interlude episode – I’ll be back soon with Book 2 of Wingtorn, where Riona and Connor’s adventure continues and we get a lot more of young Fingal, Nora, and Donnoch’s journey as well. Until then, happy listening!
Don't miss another episode.
I'll let you know when the next chapter is out.